Amid a downturn in global toy sales, Australia’s Toys ‘R’ Us stores going into voluntary administration and closure of the firm’s American and UK arms, a quiet revolution is under way in the toy world. The gendered distinctions of the infamous pink and blue toy aisles are starting to break down.
Research in Australia and internationally has documented poor health and wellbeing among LGBTQI people compared to heterosexual people. What’s less understood are the reasons why.
A dominant theory, the minority stress model, suggests that the discrimination and stigmatisation experienced by LGBTQI people in their everyday lives are to blame. While several studies have been conducted to back up these claims in the US, my recent research with student Abram Todd at The University of Queensland is the first to examine this issue in Australia.
Australia has now joined a handful of other countries in the world whose governments have made HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) readily available to populations at risk of HIV infection. This step forward takes Australia much closer to achieving its pledge, made in 2014, to end new HIV transmissions by 2020.
If you took party drugs or smoked cannabis on the weekend, would you fail a drug test on Monday? A forensic toxicologist reveals all.
Why sport hasn’t made much progress on LGBTI+ rights since the Sochi Olympics. Athletes from Western nations have various protections, and many now share equal rights in most aspects of the law. But when they travel to compete in countries with regressive human rights records, these protections can be lost.
Australians have voted just as expected! 61.6% of voters said YES in the marriage equality postal survey. 79.5% of eligible Australians returned their postal surveys. The Equality Campaign has described the YES result as a “historic milestone for Australians and a victory for equality and fairness” that sends a powerful message to Federal Parliament to legislate for marriage equality now.
Advocacy ads exploit our emotions in divisive debates. The same-sex marriage debate in Australia was always bound to be divisive and emotive. And as a public vote on whether it should be legalised nears, the role of advocacy ads will become increasingly important in swaying the opinion of undecided voters.
Legalising same-sex marriage will help reduce high rates of suicide among young people in Australia. Australia remains one of the last English-speaking countries in the developed world not to legally recognise same-sex marriage. If the upcoming postal survey indicates public support for marriage equality...
The Liberal Party has voted overwhelmingly to put its same-sex marriage plebiscite legislation back to the Senate, in a decisive rejection of the push by rebel backbenchers to get a quick free vote in Parliament. If the Senate, as expected, rejects the plebiscite again, the government will move to a voluntary postal ballot –
High rents and falling patronage force many gay bars to close. After 35 years as one of Sydney’s best-known gay nightclubs, The Midnight Shift, shut its main doors for the last time, leaving only the smaller upstairs bar to open on weekends. In Melbourne, the beloved gay bar The Greyhound (or GH) has also been demolished.
More Articles ...
- Why are gay and bisexual men dying from suicide
- Queeraz on a device near you!
- Three ways to get PrEP in Australia
- Ireland's first gay prime minister
- Gay DIDGERIDOO porn outrage
- Trump's religious liberty executive order
- Italian coffee 'cuts prostate cancer risk'
- Undetectable Sex Is Safer Sex!
- Listerine gargle to slow gonorrhoea
- Inventor of gay rights rainbow flag dies
- Sexual equality in schools
- Online safety campaign
- Immani Love Goes Down Under
- It's how big? What is a 'Normal' Penis Size?
- Annual Matthew Mitcham Portraits
- Canberra Bushdance 2016 | ACT
- Plebiscite defeated in late-night Senate vote
- SpringOUT Fair Day 2016 Photos
- Could gay-straight alliances reduce school bullying?
- Marriage and more: ACT Greens launch LBGT package
- ACT Government steps in to ensure Safe Schools program
- 3/4 of Australians oppose plebiscite
- AFL's Groundbreaking Inaugural Pride Game
- 60% of Australians now back same-sex marriage
- UK MPs won't allow backtracking on gay marriage
- Failed Plebiscite Would Be “The End Of The Matter”, Says Morrison
- Pope says Christians should apologise to gay people
- Labor promises same-sex marriage
- A tragic weekend for the LGBT community
- Republicans release transphobic ad